

The Coastal Resiliency Action Committee
MEETING MINUTES - TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2020, 4:00 P.M.

In accordance with the Governor's Order Suspending Certain Provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G. L. c. 30A, § 20, relating to the 2020 novel Coronavirus outbreak emergency, **the August 25, 2020 public meeting of the Coastal Resiliency Action Committee shall be physically closed to the public to avoid group congregation.**

Alternative public access to this meeting shall be provided in the following manner:

1. The meeting will be televised via Falmouth Community Television.
2. Real-time public comment can be addressed to the Coastal Resiliency Action Committee utilizing the Zoom virtual meeting software for remote access. This application will allow users to view the meeting and send a comment or question to the Chair via the Chat function. Submitted text comments will be read into the record at the appropriate points in the meeting.
 - a. Zoom Login instructions:
 - i. Instructions and the meeting link for this specific meeting can be found at the following web address: <http://www.falmouthmass.us/CoastalResiliency>
 - ii. Please plan on 10-15 minutes of preparation time to log in though it may be less if you have previously used Zoom on the device you will use to access this meeting.
3. Additionally public comments may be sent in advance of the meeting to concom@falmouthma.gov at **least 5 hours prior** to the beginning of the meeting. Documents and audio or video files may also be submitted via email. Submitted email comments and documents will be made a part of the meeting record and may be read into the record, summarized or displayed during the meeting at the discretion of the chair.

Present: Charles McCaffrey, Chair
Jamie Mathews
Paul Dreyer
Andrew Ashton
Jennifer Lincoln, Conservation Commission Administrator

Absent: Melissa Freitag, Vice-Chair, Ed Schmitt, Alternate

Mr. McCaffrey opened the meeting at 4:00 p.m.

Presentation of potential project at 0 Great Bay St.

Mr. McCaffrey: This is a presentation by Seth Wilkinson and Michael Borselli re a project that residents of Great Bay Street are interested in doing.

Ms. Lincoln promoted Michael Borselli and Seth Wilkinson to panelists and asked if there were a member of the press in the attendees and if so to please identify themselves.

Carrie Gentile (Falmouth Enterprise) identified herself.

Michael Borselli (Falmouth Engineering) There is a property owner of interest (Mr. Curry – 263 Great Bay St.) in the attendees also. The property in question is at the edge of Great Bay. There is also a Town landing with a lot of erosion. The point is to mitigate the erosion at the edge of Great Bay with a coir roll system. There are coir rolls by the old revetment that are also eroded. The Town landing is to the south and east where the erosion is exacerbated. The parking area is not good to park on. Mr. Borselli showed photos of the parking area and the ruts from erosion. He also showed a picture of a coir system covered with sand and the eroded sand on the beach. The area needs additional stability. The hope is to explore a joint venture with the Town of Falmouth and Coastal Zone Management (CZM) through a grant about a potential opportunity to nourish and stabilize the area. We are happy to meet with this Committee at the site.

Seth Wilkinson (Wilkinson Ecological Design) We will obtain a license through the Select Board to do the work. We have done another project up Cape that stabilized an area with permission from the Town. This Town concept is to build on what we have learned: plant a marsh to absorb some of the energy from storms – which we have seen before. Mr. Wilkinson showed a picture of fiber rolls covered in sand with vegetation established on top forming a marsh community. The purpose would be to reproduce a marsh at this site. This would protect Town resources by handling runoff before it reaches the beach – a rain garden could help. In the last year the erosion has increased behind the revetment. We will extend the fiber roll array to the north. The popular walking trail on the Assessors map is still open to the public.

Mr. Borselli: The footpath presents safety concerns because of the erosion. He displayed a recent photo of the revetment that has suffered erosion from recent storms. An area of Great Bay Street is no longer safe for vehicles.

Mr. Wilkinson: I have worked on a series of CZM grants and this project will be supported and funded by CZM. This is a good opportunity to protect property both privately and Town owned.

Mr. Borselli: The last plan permits applied to the Select Board for a license to do work on Town land became a legal document. The Select Board encouraged us to do that. There is private interest also.

Ms. Lincoln: You are approaching the Committee because you were told to?

Mr. Borselli: Yes.

Ms. Lincoln: Are you looking for our endorsement?

Mr. Borselli: An endorsement and to support our effort to seek a grant.

Ms. Lincoln: The Committee can't decide today but we can plan a site visit.

Mr. Borselli: We would be happy to give the Committee members a tour.

Ms. Lincoln: This will be done through a CZM Coastal Resiliency Grant. The Committee members can ask questions now, but hold a decision about endorsement and support for later.

Mr. McCaffrey: The Town landing is under whom?

Ms. Lincoln: It's part of the road layout. We have been going back and forth with the Engineering Department on how to fix this. So far we haven't been able to fix it.

Mr. McCaffrey: How is the Town landing used?

Mr. Borselli: There is a parking area of 6 vehicles and now only 2 vehicles can park there. It is also an access to the beach with people carrying kayaks and canoes to the water. They walk along the beach because there is no boat ramp.

Ms. Lincoln: Would you like to see an aerial photo?

Mr. McCaffrey: Yes.

The aerial photo shows that the proposed area is getting worse.

Mr. McCaffrey: Is the sand moving north to south?

Ms. Lincoln: No, it's moving south to north and up into Great Bay.

Mr. Ashton: This is known as a flying spit moving to the south. The revetment may be cut off.

Mr. McCaffrey: Are you planning to remove the revetment in front of the coir rolls?

Mr. Borselli: There are no coir rolls behind it now. The revetment shouldn't be removed. It would cause further erosion on the path.

Mr. McCaffrey: What is the usual life of the original project and the proposed one?

Mr. Wilkinson: About 20 to 30 years if sand is continually replaced over the rolls. Sand moving off a living shoreline is supposed to happen from storms. Sand that accretes to the beach is not sticking around. That's why we like the marsh community idea. The erosion wouldn't be so rapid.

Mr. McCaffrey: This problem is common in other areas of Great Bay and other south leaning shorelines. How many others?

Mr. Wilkinson: There are 2 in Great Bay. With a northeast exposure it is not unusual to see erosion in the area. There is also a pond to the left on Grand Avenue.

Mr. McCaffrey: Then there are a number of locations where this type of project could work?

Mr. Wilkinson: Yes.

Ms. Lincoln: We can table discussion to another meeting.

Mr. McCaffrey: Are there any other questions?

Mr. Dreyer: Why is this on the agenda? Should they wait until they are dealing with a specific project? I'm not sure what our endorsement will do.

Ms. Lincoln: This was steered in our direction.

Mr. McCaffrey: This is like Surf Drive – we are looking at certain recommendations. It's useful this way. We will defer the discussion.

Mr. Mathews: When was the most recent project like this done?

Mr. Wilkinson: About four years ago.

Mr. Mathews: What about the one further up?

Mr. Wilkinson: A year later.

Mr. Mathews: What do you mean by a living shoreline?

Mr. Wilkinson: It's a broadly used term. The work of fiber rolls is for a nature-based system.

Mr. Mathews: Mary Schumacher, the late Chair of the Conservation Commission, and I walked Great Bay Street and talked about ways to keep it from erosion.

Mr. Wilkinson: We have been discussing this technique for about 10 years – managing erosion, not stopping it.

Mr. Ashton: (audio problem) Was it a marsh before?

Mr. Wilkinson: There are patches of remnant marsh in the area. We saw some peat.

Mr. Ashton: The Spit has moved over a marsh. It's a transitional area.

Mr. Wilkinson: We have a grainy image from 2001. The area of marsh at the Spit is much smaller. In a picture 10-yds. north of the site (2003) there is a flimsy marsh.

Mr. Ashton: Is the erosion from big storm waves?

Mr. Wilkinson: The erosion is a function of storms. The revetment is low and the bank erosion is from storm waves and the boat waves haven't helped.

Mr. McCaffrey: Thank you. We will discuss it at the next meeting and go out to the site to look at the problem.

Discussion of the Surf Drive Study Task 2 memo, Phasing and Implementation Plan.

Mr. McCaffrey: Do we have any updates or comments from Elise LeDuc (WHG)? On the minutes from the last meeting it stated that you would submit our comments to Elise.

Ms. Lincoln: Elise does want to talk about that when we do public outreach. We will have the full report from WHG by August 31st. Are there any dates that would work well for you? We also need a date for advertising ahead of the public outreach. That should be ready by September 4th and hold some kind of public outreach by mid-October.

Mr. McCaffrey: Even if the report is not complete?

Ms. Lincoln: It would be a public presentation. We can add things along the way because we have until June 2021. We should look at a calendar and propose a date.

Mr. McCaffrey: Did she have any reaction to our comments?

Ms. Lincoln: I will touch base with her tomorrow about that.

Update on Neighborhood Risk Assessments.

Mr. McCaffrey: Any reaction from Elise on the neighborhood risk assessment?

Ms. Lincoln: I will ask her about that tomorrow also. She did comment on the Amy Lowell project at Trunk River.

Mr. McCaffrey: She's sending that to Jim McLoughlin and Amy.

Mr. Mathews: Is that piece going to be included in the Neighborhood Risk Assessment?

Ms. Lincoln: It is in the original Community risk assessment and the presentation for the different communities.

Mr. McCaffrey: The intention was to do at least two neighborhood presentations. Ultimately I'd like to do more in the spring.

Ms. Lincoln: We may still be virtual then.

Report Outline and ongoing discussions.

Mr. McCaffrey: The purpose of the Neighborhood Risk Assessment part is that WHG would give us the data on the danger and the extent of risk for our report to the Select Board.

Ms. Lincoln: We should be scheduling a call with us and Elise re the MVP Action Grant to make sure we're still moving forward. I'll also check with Courtney Rocha with MVP.

Mr. Ashton: What is the timeline for the grant?

Ms. Lincoln: Sometime mid to late September. We'll nail down the date when WHG is available. I'll check that tomorrow.

Mr. McCaffrey: I have a revised issue of the outline with your added comments. I added some detail and sent out a copy of CZM's policies. I printed a source of our recommendations to the Town. We will go over them at the next meeting. There are some wording modifications. Please look at them. State and local agencies are required to use those policies in decision making.

Mr. Dreyer: Is this the complete outline? How many pages will the report be?

Mr. McCaffrey: The special projects that were recommended in the WHG study is a long list. There may be 20 to 30 pages of narrative.

Mr. Dreyer: We need to chose a project and prioritize it to Phase 1 or Phase 2.

Mr. McCaffrey: We will do that but add criteria so the Select Board can prioritize them.

Mr. Dreyer: Shouldn't we prioritize them?

Mr. McCaffrey: No. The DPW and Select Board should begin to prioritize. They are not going to do that within the next two months.

Ms. Lincoln: Under the rules and regulations about creating new bylaws. At a meeting last fall with FEMA they were just starting to allow the city of Boston to create new bylaws. Then the pandemic happened. A person was trained to run a Community Rating System. This person cannot travel because of the pandemic. When that is lifted the project may move forward. A model bylaw is being worked on and the Committee will want to look at it.

Mr. McCaffrey: I will get in touch with Heather at the Cape Cod Commission about that. I haven't heard anything about an extensive model re erosion control methods. Many will have to have bylaws approved by the Select Board. Charter revisions allow the Select Board to issue rules and regulations on a variety of subjects. They could build on special permits for wetlands and utilize that for rules and regulations. I was wondering if we should try to establish some rules and regulations. We could use a Drop Box so several of us could work on the same document. It might be useful for us to keep building up the outline.

Ms. Lincoln: I will check with IT about that.

Mr. Ashton: Could that be a problem with the open meeting law? It could be public but only worked on by certain users.

Ms. Lincoln: I'll check with Irie on that.

Mr. Mathews to Ms. Lincoln: Can I reach out to Elise independently to go over my part of the report?

Ms. Lincoln: I'll check on that tomorrow.

Mr. Mathews: You and Charlie were going to meet with Rod Palmer. How was it?

Ms. Lincoln: We didn't have the meeting yet.

Mr. McCaffrey: I talked to him on another topic and discussed that briefly.

Ms. Lincoln: I will check with Rod about a meeting.

Mr. Mathews: Should we have him at our meeting?

Ms. Lincoln: Yes.

Mr. McCaffrey: I'd rather have an informal meeting first and then a public meeting.

Ms. Lincoln to Mr. Mathews: What is your availability to meet with Elise on Thursday?

Mr. Mathews: I'll make it anytime.

Mr. Dreyer: The previous two reports – are they identical or a misprint. The Executive Summary is identical.

Ms. Lincoln: The Coastal Resiliency Working Group has an identical Executive Summary. I'll send an email tomorrow and find out.

Mr. Dreyer: Are you attending the meeting at the New England Business Council? Betsy Gladfelter is giving a presentation about the Coonamessett River project.

Mr. McCaffrey and Mr. Mathews will attend.

Ms. Lincoln: Would you like to discuss tomorrow's presentation at the next meeting?

Mr. Dreyer: At the Town Meeting they are trying to truncate the reports from Committees.

Ms. Lincoln: I think they are trying to address the Articles. They may have deleted Town reports. I will check.

Mr. McCaffrey: The re-scheduled date for Town Meeting may be re-scheduled again.

Mr. Dreyer: It could be in November.

Mr. McCaffrey: It's possible they could finish the spring and fall meetings at the same time.

Mr. Dreyer: I think they will go through the Articles.

Ms. Lincoln: I'll shoot David Vieira an email and find out.

MINUTES

The minutes of 8/11/20 will be voted at the next meeting due to a lack of quorum.

Mr. Mathews: Move to adjourn.

Mr. Dryer: Second.

Mr. McCaffrey: McCaffrey, aye; Mathews, aye; Dreyer, aye; Ashton, aye. Unanimous, so moved.

The meeting adjourned at 5:18 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Susan Cronin, Recording Secretary